Resolving Business Disputes – in and out of Court
Being a great litigator isn’t just about making good arguments in court.
It’s about resolving disputes before they ever go to trial.
At the Chernoff Law Firm, we’re not just litigators – we’re problem solvers.
Commercial disputes can lead to a colossal waste of time and money. They can destroy businesses and even lives. But sometimes the only option is to go to court.
Often, it takes the threat of litigation to bring the parties to the negotiating table. Sometimes, the parties are so angry with each other they can’t even talk. We can help bridge that gap and get things moving in the right direction.
People often get into business disputes based on misunderstandings and misconceptions. It may be only through the litigation discovery process that the true facts of a case are revealed. Parties may think they can stonewall and hide the truth, but once the cards are on the table it becomes clear how the case should be resolved.
Throughout the litigation, discovery, and settlement process we’ll make sure you know where you stand and what your options are.
If You’re the Plaintiff
You might be ready to hire a litigator because you can see trouble on the horizon or recognize a dispute is brewing. Maybe you’re in one of these situations:
- You and your business partner disagree on how to run, sell, or divide your business
- Your customer refuses to pay your invoices
- A borrower or lender refuses to comply with loan terms
- An employee left and is disparaging the company or soliciting its customers
- You believe your employer is not properly paying wages or benefits
- Your commercial tenant vacated its leased space early, refusing to pay the balance due
If You’re the Defendant
You might be looking for a litigator because you see a dispute is evolving, were threatened with litigation, or have been served with a lawsuit. Maybe you’re in one of the following situations:
- Your business partner is threatening to sue over management disagreements
- A lender is suing you to collect on a personal guaranty
- You are a lender and have been accused of irregularities in the lending process
- You’re a developer dealing with liens on your property
- An employer is attempting to restrict you from competing after your employment concludes
- You’re a lawyer or medical professional facing a malpractice claim
We Focus on Civil Disputes
Unlike some law firms, we are not “one size fits all.” We do not handle divorces, wills, or criminal cases. We do not prepare immigration, adoption, or tax cases. We concentrate on doing a few things very well.
We focus on civil litigation – such as business disputes, real estate cases, personal injury, and professional malpractice.
You can read more about some of our cases here.
Settlements that Make Sense
Only about 2% of civil cases ever go to trial. Some of them get dismissed before trial. Most of them settle.
We do not hesitate to take a case to trial when necessary. If your case needs to be tried, we have the experience and resources to persuasively present your case to the jury. Of course, we are also prepared to negotiate a deal when that is appropriate. It can be a challenge to come up with a settlement that all parties can live with, but we are able to help clients through that process.
Contact Us Today
If you face the prospect of civil litigation – or if you are already in the middle of it and not happy about how things are going – contact us today and find out how we can help.